Saturday, March 20, 2021

What is recording actually like?

         Recording is pretty enjoyable, except when it isn't. Making sure a scene comes out the way you intend it is extremely tedious, as there is always something you can fix or do better. One issue I have to constantly deal with in my home is lighting. Some areas are fairly well-lit, and don't need much editing, while others NEED external lighting to look good. While editing can sort some of these problems out, it is better to make sure your raw footage comes out as best as possible.

        Working around the house means working with different lighting environments, primarily natural and artificial lights. 

        Natural lighting is anything that cannot really be altered, such as windows, reflections, and anything that interacts with the sun. It's considered natural because it is just that. While tricky to work with, it is not impossible. Golden hour is a prime example of how anything can look good with minimal effort. 


        To undergo the process of mimicking golden hour entirely digitally is hellish, and I would not wish it upon anyone. Natural lighting does not work with you. You should be working with it. This is why schedules are usually tight when filming with the sun. Because it never stops. 
        Artificial lighting is a bit easier to work with. Keep in mind I said a BIT. Depending on your set, you might have to deal with reflections or bright spots due to glossy material. But if you can't change your material you'll have to change your lights, and to find that sweet spot where it isn't over or under exposed is hard.

        While the picture looks balanced, keep in mind it was shot using my phone, so it was automatically leveled out. On the left you can see my light kit, and on the right is my camera. To end up on this exact setup I had to try out every other setup that did not look like this. First I chose a specific light level to work with, one that wouldn't create too harsh of white spots on the counter or too many shadows, but at the same time I needed to light it up significantly. 
        Once that was set up, I had to find an angle that would keep shadows to a minimum. I tried left, right, up, down, north, west, south, east, northeast, south-north, and everything in between. Thankfully I had a tripod and once I found the right angle it stayed there. Lighting up the other scenes were not as hard, thanks to windows or just more direct lighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye bye, until next time

     Well, it is finally that dreaded time again, saying goodbye. Having finished everything, I'm putting it all in a Google Drive for h...