Tuesday, March 23, 2021

What goes around comes around

         If I haven't beaten it into your head yet, I'm working alone. That would be all well and good if I had tons of equipment. Alas, I do not. Because of that, I have two alternatives; buying, and borrowing. 

        Buying is obviously a good alternative as I only have to worry about upgrading it when the time comes. The problem is, I'd have to buy it. I managed to get some equipment, primarily a light kit, that will forever help me. Especially in my house, there is no downside to getting a light-kit, as I will be using it frequently. Although a few of my scenes need little to no extra lighting, the light kit is very much needed for some scenes in my kitchen, as there are no windows nearby.

        On the other hand, there is more equipment that would not only improve the quality of my production, but make everything much easier. As such, I have decided to borrow some equipment from my friend, and in turn, I helped him with his project.The experience was very enjoyable, as I not only got to learn more for myself, but I got some insight into advanced techniques as well as inspiration for my own film opening. 

        As for the equipment, I got a few stands, a mechanical slider, and a tripod head. Each has their own uses, but I'll primarily focus on the slider. One shot idea I had was to slowly wipe through a character and reveal myself behind it. Seeing how it's a "duplicate" shot I would have to do it twice, with myself in each position. Using a mechanical slider helps, as it can go through the movements over and over again perfectly, allowing me to stitch shots together in post. If that does not work, I can use a double for myself and just record two plates of the shot, one with me and one without.


        As you can see, both shots are essentially the same when it comes to timing thanks to the wonders of technology. Stitching them together just comes down to cutting or fading to it. Were it not for the slider, I would resort to alternative ideas, which would've been fine, just not as cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bye bye, until next time

     Well, it is finally that dreaded time again, saying goodbye. Having finished everything, I'm putting it all in a Google Drive for h...